Friday, October 26, 2007

Luna-tic

Moon over Kolkata, India on 26th October, 2007
Nikon D40X with Nikon AF-S DX VR 55-200 mm lens on a tripod

Yesterday in India the moon was the brightest and the biggest of the year, in fact the biggest since December 1999. The moon was said to be 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than the average full moon (source: The Telegraph, India). Yesterday was also the occasion of 'Kojagori Lakshmi Pujo' here in Bengal. Kalyan's blog here gives an excellent account of the occasion.

I had, in fact, hoped to capture a few more details of the moon's surface. But looks like I had either underestimated the distance between the earth & the moon, or had overestimated the power of my 55-200mm zoom! All in all, what you see above is what I got.

Somehow any mention of the moon gets instantly associated in my mind to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Seeing yesterday's bright moon, I could not but help wondering what it must be on the 'other' side :-)

"The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me till I'm sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but its not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon"

Brain Damage by Pink Floyd. Album: Dark Side of the Moon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW...a beautifully captured shot & the song you have selected is a very nice one. I love Pink Floyd...Excellent!

I also have a pic on the full moon which you can view here 'http://kalyansuman.blogspot.com/2007/03/full-moon-nights.html'. Thanks:)

indicaspecies said...

The moment I saw the post title, that very song ran through my mind! I like Pink Floyd too. I also like your picture of the full moon. The new generation of space vehicles are getting ready and I wish you the best with your lunar quest. :)

Pijush said...

Gr8 shot buddy.. perfect way to remember this Lakhsmi Purnima.

Ananda Niyogi said...

@ Kalyan - Thanks for sharing your photo - I did visit and took a look. The trees lend a nice perspective to your shot..

@ Celine - Yes indeed, for Pink Floyd fans the moon will always be associated with 'that' song ...And a little bit of 'moonshine' does go well on such nights paired with listening to Floyd :-)

@ Pijush - Thanks mate!

indicaspecies said...

LOL..May the lunatic on the grass have a good laugh with his bunch of loonies on the path with a bright shine on his face and remember games and daisy chains as he enjoys the moonshine. :P
- celine

Ananda Niyogi said...

@ Celine: Oh yes, would love to do that :-))

indicaspecies said...

Now I feel like joining in the fun as well. :P

©