Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A Change of Seasons


This year we have seen a rather early arrival of winter in Kolkata. The days have become pleasant and there is a slight chill at night. Last year (in 2006), I was in Eagan, Minnesota (US) during winter. That was the most bitter winter that I had ever experienced with very heavy snowfall and more disconcertingly, the howling & bone-piercing winds.

The two winters before that (in 2004 & 2005) I was in Copenhagen, Denmark. Though it snowed regularly, the winters there were less extreme. The days were really short though, with sunlight lasting for only about 6 to 8 hours in a day. Even while it lasted, most of the time it remained muggy and overcast. One of my favourite places in Copenhagen was very near to where I lived - the Frederiksberg Castle (Danish: 'Slot') and the surrounding gardens (Danish: 'Have'). Right below is a shot of the Frederiksberg Slot during the height of winter in Copenhagen (owing to the snow and the poor light the shot is not tack sharp, I must admit)

But in summer, it was a different story altogether. Danish summers are the best that I have ever experienced. The weather is extremely pleasant and not too hot. The skies are clear for days at a stretch. Also it seemed entire Denmark came out to party to make the most of the short summer. The change is pretty obvious if you now take a look at the photo below - it is the same place as the one above. In summer the skies are blue and the grass is green :-)


2 comments:

Pijush said...

Waoww.. Nice post. We have spent many golden moments in “Frederiksberg Slot” , playing football, attending the summer festival, jogging and many more things. I can still remember the first week I landed in Copenhagen. It was snowing heavily and we both went to enjoy the snow in Frederiksberg Slot. I still see those pics and it was a real pleasure for me. The first pic in ur post was of that day :-)

Ananda Niyogi said...

@ Pijush: Absolutely right, the 1st shot is indeed from 'that' day. Memories of Copenhagen make me extremely nostalgic. I am sure you will agree we had some of the best times of our lives there.

©